Tuesday, May 17, 2005

immigrants in ireland

Ireland has changed a lot in the last 5-10 years. Recently there has been an influx of immigration from all over the world. Returning migrants, people from China, Nigeria, Poland, Romania and pretty much anywhere else in Europe. People tell me it's a melting pot, but it's not really. That'll take a while. It appears to me like a lot of people from other countries sticking together. Last night I saw a chinese restaurant had been booked for a private party. I peered in the window, adnd saw that it was a Chinese wedding. I thought, isn't that great. I hope that these people are happy here and successfully put down roots and there is a good integration of the communities and that culturally Ireland is a better place for the influence of these differing communities. On my way home, I passed the same restaurant again. Well almost. Turns out that there was a bunch of drunk chinamen outside the restaurant having a fight. I thought to myself ... well they're certainly doing their bit to blend in to Irish culture. A couple of drunk Irishmen stood at a distance speculating to themselves if Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee was involved. It was a funny/strange scene for a Monday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home